The bloggings of an Upstate NY-born Tokyoite. Now with 20% more verbosity!

_

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Hardcore lives in the adult district of Shinjuku

I'd like to start off today's blog by saying that the shift from New York to Japan has been a big one for many different reasons: New food, new job, new living situation, new country, and so on to infinity.

Infinity

There is one thing that hasn't changed though: Wherever I go I can meet people who like the music that I do, who want that release that only a hardcore show can give you. For people who don't understand the appeal to the music, it's a hard concept to explain. For those of us that know, we know all too well.

What's going on in the above picture would probably look like a riot, a massive fight or just total chaos to most people, but to those of us who are familiar, it's a mosh pit. This idea has been misidentified and incorrectly defined most especially in the last 10 years on the internet (thanks youtube), and I'm not here to give you a proper definition: it's the kind of social spectacle you have to witness for yourself to try and understand. The energy is as amazing here as anywhere else, and I find the atmosphere to be especially positive.

Tokyo is also perhaps unique in that (as one older teacher so poignantly said): "No matter how niche or obscure a band is, they'll have a following in Tokyo." I've already talked to a few people here about "troycore" - a word for hardcore from Troy, NY a somewhat impoverished yet historical city across the river from Albany and the original home of Uncle Sam. I talked to a fellow named Akira at this show about Burning Human, Stigmata, Dying Breed, Dissent and Cutthroat, and some of those troycore bands rarely if ever even played out of New York. All but 1 are long defunct, being at least 10 years dated if not more. My point is the fact that I can have a conversation about my hometown bands all the way over here made me feel especially happy, and perhaps a little less completely out of place. Akira said he was also glad someone else knew these bands.

"I want to go to Troy," he said.

The club that the show was held at, Shinjuku ACB, is smack between the adult district and the hotel district of West Shinjuku, which is kiddy corner to a 20 story hospital. I suppose this all made sense to someone at some point in time. Before the show I stopped in an arcade and took the drumming picture above, and also tried Guitar Freaks, which is basically Japanese Guitar Hero (I'm pretty sure they thought of it first). And I stumbled upon some event at a public square which involved taiko (drumming) and dancing:



I later returned in between bands to view a political rally in the same spot, which must be described in words since I was staunchly told by security that no pictures were allowed to be taken. From what I saw, a band finished playing some vigorous number and a man with a microphone entered into a speech. There must have been at least 2 or 300 spectators. There were 4 flagbearers holding ridiculously huge flags, must have been 25 or 30 feet long, and I'm guessing they were of a political party. I also didn't understand much besides the word "government" in the speech. Once the man was finished, 2 cheerleaders came out and started a choreographed dance routine. There were at least a dozen private security guards in sight holding flashing batons (very deadly, I'm sure) and crouching strategically around the rally. There was also a barricade, and in between it was a "hypeman" who ran back and forth, encouraging everyone in a rabid fashion to applaud, applaud, applaud. I even saw some white tourist-looking guy clapping, and thought to myself that it was kind of sad. It's no wonder they think we're all stupid.

The band that played later, taken before the rally started.


I don't know where else to stick them, so here are a few pictures of bright and busy Shinjuku on a Sunday night:





And without further ado, pictures from the show. Enjoy.

As We Let Go again. Excellent hardcore that makes you want to move.



The True Path. I'm not gonna lie, these guys were a Bury Your Dead rip-off band, from the guitar-tones to the silly stage moves. They traveled 4 hours to get there though and were decent.




No Choice In This Matter. Pretty posi, seem to be a big draw. Fun and energetic, plus on-stage karate kicks!






Loyal to the Grave. Can't say enough good stuff about these guys, they are my favorite local band so far and really good dudes. They also bring the mosh.




Random fat drunken Brazilian dude at the show, insisted on rocking on stage.




Blacklisted. I didn't take many pictures, I was too busy dancing.




In closing, I'd like to say that I am very excited to start a new band. All the pieces are coming into place, and my friend Ian is as of today on his way out of Afghanistan onboard several long flights which will eventually bring him back to his wife and kid, here in Japan. He is also my future drummer, and boy do I ever miss having a band. My Dad just shipped out my guitar (thanks Dad) and I should be getting it in a few weeks. I was just watching a video from my band Damnation Alley playing in July and was remembering how fun that was....hard to believe that was only 3 months ago. If I can get that same feeling again over here, then I'll have everything I need.


"It has been so long since any piece of this made any kind of sense" - Lamb of God

"When the shadow of the sash appeared on the curtains it was between seven and eight oclock and then I was in time again, hearing the watch. It was Grandfather's and when Father gave it to me he said, Quentin, I give you the mausoleum of all hope and desire; it's rather excrutiating-ly apt that you will use it to gain the reducto absurdum of all human experience which can fit your individual needs no better than it fitted his or his father's. I give it to you not that you may remember time, but that you might forget it now and then for a moment and not spend all your breath trying to conquer it. Because no battle is ever won he said. They are not even fought. The field only reveals to man his own folly and despair, and victory is an illusion of philosophers and fools." William Faulkner, "The Sound and The Fury."

3 comments:

john torn said...

haha AFB and FTFD shirts onstage in japan, i'm feelin it!

Jon Doe said...

Tokyo has got a great music scene that is for sure. I am into Rock a Billy, Psychobilly and a little Punk. There is no shortage of bands to see. There is at least one band in Tokyo to fit any musical taste.

Anonymous said...

The fact that anyone would want to rip off Bury Your Dead makes me die a little inside. But those shows look like a lot of fun, and it seems you're seeing a lot and having a good time. Hooray for the "big white guy."

also, "Random Fat Drunk Brazilian Guy" would make a good name for a band...