The bloggings of an Upstate NY-born Tokyoite. Now with 20% more verbosity!

_

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

"Blogging material"

I've heard/read others using this expression, and it's funny how once you start writing a blog, you begin to look at things in your life as opportunities for "blogging material." Much in the same way that writers will turn to the most minute and trivial aspects of life to be their muses - and I am not a writer, this is a totally different entity - bloggers who write about the every day look to each day for something worthwhile to write, that maybe somebody else will want to read.

Today was not groundbreaking or exciting. I talked about ancient Egyptian burial ceremonies, explained grave-robbing and talked about other random stuff with my students. There was one teacher (newer than me) who had his first day today and was naturally quite nervous - so I, turning the table so quickly as that was me a mere 3 weeks ago to the day, gave him some advice and prodded him along. He did fine I'm sure, it's just the innate nervousness that comes with doing something like this for the first time. I've already developed habits and patterns when conducting my classes, and have gotten to know some regular students.

In other news: Buffalo Bills are 4 and 0! This is gonna be the year, I can feel it! Completely unrelated to that, I started watching an Adult Swim show called Frisky Dingo, a mock-super hero cartoon in the vein of Metalacolpypse. And finally, I am almost finished with the 3rd Harry Potter book, and finally am understanding what all the fuss has been about: The storytelling is excellent, most of the twists are unpredictable and many of the characters are easy to relate to and very likable. Much like Chronicles of Narnia or Lord of the Rings, all a good epic really needs are these 3 basic elements to build off of and flourish, in my humble opinion. Maybe I'll create my own fantasy universe and become a billionaire selling novels?

"I've got no new act to amuse you, I've got no desire to use you" - Elliot Smith

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the scary thing is that the bills play arizona next week and should be 5-0 after that. i cant explain it

Anonymous said...

Ben, I beg to differ about you being a writer. I think you are doing a great job with this blog
MOM