The bloggings of an Upstate NY-born Tokyoite. Now with 20% more verbosity!

_

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Bemusement

I found a very accurate description of what studying Japanese character compounds is like:


Sunday, I dicked around for most of the day and then went to the show. I was really impressed, all the bands were good but most notably Gallhammer, an all-female black/death/sludge metal band who are apparently huge in Europe but not so much in Japan. Regrettably I forgot my camera, so I present to you a quick list of highlights from that night:

-A drunk British dude telling the bass player of Gallhammer that ice cream is not metal

-Discovering that there is a canned beverage at convenience stores for the equivalent of $2 with 8% alcohol, simply labeled Chu-Hi STRONG

-Cheersing the aforementioned drink with a bunch of metalheads. Afterwards the drunken Brit mentioned how "we don't have Chu-Hi in Britian," "Not in America either!" I said. He replied with taihen! (literally: emergency or tough situation!) I found it funny, you might not.

-Seeing a bunch of drunk dudes circle-pitting slovenly to some black metal, one fat dude smash two guys pouring beer down each others throats and the fat dude taking a beer shower afterwards, all of them laughing the whole time

-I found out you can legally pee in the street in Japan if (and this is crucial) you can prove you are drunk. There is apparently an infamous street in Shinjuku that always smells rank. While finding public bathrooms can be a challenge, it isn't much more than any normal city, and all the stations have lots of them, so I haven't resorted to said means. Yet.

"The world is my toilet" - Fran.

And stuff like that. The weird thing is that I should have been tanked but I only slept 5 hours, arising at the ungodly hour of 6:30 and unable to get back to sleep. I spent the morning playing videogames and enjoying my day off, when I made the sort of clumsy "epik phail" mistake I am so accustomed to: I stepped backwards onto a glass I had left on the floor. I happen to also be barefoot, so when I broke the glass I sliced open the bottom of my middle toe. Believe it or not, this does not qualify as the dumbest way I've ever hurt myself: That would be when I shut a door on my big toe, ripping the nail 70% off.

I wrapped it, thanked myself for having the foresight to buy bandaids, and looked up the Japanese word for antibiotic. It didn't hurt too much and shouldn't be as huge a nuisance as if I'd cut my foot on the bottom of the heel. I went out and paid my bills, went to the town ward to take care of Insurance stuff and went technology/grocery shopping. On my way, I saw a new ad in the subway featuring George Clooney's face, two sentences and some red sporty car. It said: " I deserve a good car. Because I'm a man." I had to laugh not only at how silly the ad was, but also at the fact that I cannot think of one instance in recent memory where a celebrity endorsed a car in an American advertisement. We're thick and slow, but not quite that thick. And slow.

Tech-shopping I scored a USB-hub and a 640GB external hard drive for collectively about $150. None too shabby. I also got a lot of much needed groceries and was very content with myself on accomplishing something. I spent the remainder of my free day lounging, watching football, playing games and chatting with friends. Somehow it has turned into 2am, I've been up for 20 hours and for some reason I don't want to sleep. But I'm gonna try.



"No man is much higher than another no matter race or creed or gender" - Killswitch Engage

"Me thinketh the lady doth protest too much" - Hamlet

"Time won't change for me, it's healing nothing and im learning to live with that" - Guns Up!

No comments: