The bloggings of an Upstate NY-born Tokyoite. Now with 20% more verbosity!

_

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Not a dull moment

After each day here, I think when I get home: "Man, that was a long day!" And today was no exception. The worst thing that happened was that since I was totally exhausted last night, I completely neglected to set any alarm! So, I luckily woke up at 9:30 and was able to rush rush rush and make it to training just in time to still be late. Luckily I wasn't the only one, but punctuality is a really big deal here in Japan - Even being a minute late is considered late! So I have to try a lot harder on that in the future. I'm going to start setting two alarms every morning, so that the only possible thing that could cause me to be late would be extenuating circumstances, like a broken-down train or something.

After a long hard day of training, everyone in my group went out to go drinking for a little while! Even though none of us really had much time, we all needed some kind of a break. (And I know some of you just found this blog so, uh, Hi!) The bar we went to (on some of the staff's advice) was called an Iyazaki, meaning I have no idea what, and it had the first sliding doors I've actually seen in all of Tokyo thusfar. We all ordered a few drinks and got to laugh and be loud and take some pictures and all that good stuff. Whether the staff loved or hated us, well, I couldn't really tell! But we all broke out our politest Japanese, anyway.

All good people in my group, as I have previously mentioned. I feel the beginning of some beautiful friendships, and what makes it even cooler is bridging the culture gap: I mean, back in New York I never got the chance to hang out with people from Canada, let alone Australia! And many of our trainers are British, coincidentally.

The only other real thing that happened was that when I showed up to my transfer station on the way home, I heard some kind of message about an error or a problem. I don't know what was said - it was all very fast and a lot of words I don't know, other than "trouble," problem" and "please wait thank you." Suffice it to say I had to wait about an hour to get out of the station, but whatever, at least I didn't have anywhere that I needed to be. I also managed to somehow turn the wrong way out of the station and walk an extra mile or so getting back home, fun fun!

Not a very exciting entry, huh. Well, I'm working my ass off right now so I don't really have much energy to put into it. Here are a few things that I can't wait for:

-Saturday night. I'm sure most of us will all celebrate surviving the first week of training (we have one day off on Sunday, so we can actually stay out somewhat late)

-Defiled and Hellchild on Sunday! Japanese metal legends! Beers will be drank, heads will be banged, and picture will be taken this time!

-Two weeks from today, when I get to the end of training and can finally start teaching people English. I await this day with great impatience.

-My first paycheck! Japan is pretty expensive after all, especially if you want to go out or do anything remotely fun.

Until next time interwebbers. I promise that next time you won't have to read so much without some kind of fun visual break.

Me and Jordan, reppin' da Gaijin crew yo

"I see through bitter eyes, but the fact still remains! I read between your lines, you gotta beat em at their own game" - Madball

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gaijin crew for life! I can't wait to visit you, and reform the Shinsen gumi.