The bloggings of an Upstate NY-born Tokyoite. Now with 20% more verbosity!

_

Friday, August 22, 2008

Leeeeeet's baby!~~

I am still suffering the consequences of Jet lag: I slept from 10:30-2:30 last night, and was unable to go back to sleep at all, despite the fact that I knew I could really use it. I decided to say screw it and did, uh, stuff. I don't even remember now. Oh yea, I thought I'd go running since maybe getting some exercise would make me more tired, and it would be a great chance to look at the other side of town - I had, up until that particular point in time only been between the train station and my apartment, but I planned on going the opposite way for running. Here's some kind of idea of how this wacky area is structured:

I forgot to write it in, but the train station is near the Department store.

As expected, the roads here are bewilderingly random and make little to no sense, and are also unnamed save major routes, so I rely on landmarks to get around and not get lost. Anyway, I ran while listening to Most Precious Blood's "Nothing in Vain," a true modern-day New York Hardcore classic. I did maybe 2 miles, I'm not quite sure. But I think I will make that my regular route - going left on the street and down the straightaway for a mile and back, that is. It's relatively idiot-proof, and my only complaint is the lack of sidewalks (everyone walks on the shoulder) and the exhaust from cars, but what can you do?

Upon returning, I took a much needed shower. Just before this however I ran into the first of my apartment building-neighbors that I have met, a young-looking blond Australian girl (or maybe English, I'm just guessing by the accent). She seemed skiddish, or perhaps embarrassed that we met outside the shower, and scuttled off. She also had some serious acne, which seems to be a really common trend among English teachers here. That, balding and being really, really, really tall.

2 outta 3 ain't bad.

After showering, I finally had breakfast - some nice looking sashimi (raw, sliced fish) over thin water-noodles with sliced carrots. Between that, the real wasabi (not that fake, Western, horse-radish, green, food-colored B.S.), my own addition of Tabasco and two slices of white bread, I had a really tasty meal:

Oishi! (Delicious!)

After this, I decided that I would put off buying a T.V. and camera until Monday, since it really isn't a life necessity, and other things I needed were more important: a laundry basket, garbage bin, detergent, a rice cooker, etc. I made my way out to go to the Department store (a.k.a. J-Walmart) and, surprisingly enough, on my way out I ran into another white guy! We talked for a few minutes, and he seems like a nice dude - he's from San Francisco, meets two of the necessary English Teaching Prerequisites (balding and being as tall as me) and actually lives in the apartment next to mine! We agreed to go out and get some drinks some time very soon. We were both talking with outdoor voices however, and sure enough one of the Japanese tenants yelled something at him out the door. "At least he didn't see me!" I said jovially - it's good to know I live with someone who can understand sarcasm, a comedic art which seems to be lost on most Japanese.

The Department store was huge but, after a mega-muffin at McDonalds and a coffee, I was ready to take it on. I came in with my list (I had looked up everything I needed in Japanese) and asked the employees where things were; They were all very nice and helpful. After finding everything I needed, including a 10kg bag of white rice, a rice cooker, pots and pans, pillows, a basket and other items, I headed towards the cashier in front of the grocery area on the first floor. As it turned out, you can't ring up items from different floors there, so I had to bring my appliances and utilities all the way back up to the fourth floor! I said screw it and left my bag of rice and bottled water on a bench in between the escalators and went up and paid as quickly as I could. Ironically enough, I got a 5% discount card for AEON English lessons. The cashiers also thought that was pretty funny. In the end, I carried all that crapola out the door and prepared for the not-very-fun walk back home - about a mile, give or take. Here is everything I brought:



And here is how I looked after the fact:




Haha, just kidding guys. I'm stwong.

I'm currently listening to Melt Banana - my god, this is some of the most wacky, weird, messed up music I've ever heard. And I'm going to see them in Shimokitazawa tonight!! My first Japanese show, more "grind" than hardcore, but that is definitely OK. The other band playing, Audio Safari, is another ambient, electronica J-band in the vein of Matryoshka - I may have to buy their CD. Shimokitazawa is also, as it turns out, a hugely popular spot among young people, particularly various kinds of artists. It even ranked in the top 3 of places young adults would want to live in Japan last year!

Figuring out how to get there was interesting, to say the least: I had to look for a while to find directions, then had to use my ginormous NELSON'S ORIGINAL MODERN READER'S JAPANESE-ENGLISH CHARACTER DICTIONARY to look up some characters I didn't know how to translate, but should learn if I want to become better at Japanese; Stuff like staircase, crossing, etc.

(see? That really is the title!)

OK, that's all we have time for today kids. Tune in next week, when I steal a farmer's daughter and fight it out in the street with her father for her hand in marriage, Judo-style.




"You will come down soon too, you will come down, too soon." - Modest Mouse

"Strange days

Everything the world has seems strange. Just like bull shit.
Thinking it formed by the history of power.
There's nothing reallity to me. I feel emptiness.
Why don't you have doubt for life in this warped system?

Please give me perfect answers.
Break Break Break Break the conection
How can I control myself?
It's for change

I'm not welcomed no matter where I go. No. I might refuse it.
I feel like I don't know where I exist.
Walking while being careful on a gloomy road.
How can you keep your sight good in this evil system

The strange days will be done.
Come up the guiding light.
The glorious days will come.
The plot broke down.
I'm searching for the answers
I'm making sure my steps." - FC Five.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Engrish hardcore = pwnage! Good job shredding the town already. I hope the show is good.

Just make sure you win the Judo-duel that has been foreseen so many times by Gabe.

Benjamin L. Belcher said...

ROFLCOPTER

Anonymous said...

having fun is all you need!!!!