The bloggings of an Upstate NY-born Tokyoite. Now with 20% more verbosity!

_

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Slight meloncholia.... (And never bring a watergun to a tazer fight)

Feelin a little bummed today. If you don't know me already, than I'll warn you that I tend to fluctuate between hyper/silly and mellow/blah on the regular, and it might be reflected in my bloggy here. The pizza-business has been shitty lately, just making enough to spend, not save. Although I can't deny I love the chill people I work with, it's a very lax environment. And the food is free. :)

I also think about how much I'll miss everyone and how there will be people I don't get to hang out with before I leave. I also really hate it when you leave people messages and they don't respond, it's a personal peeve of mine. There are also those people who you make plans with and almost always bail, making you wonder why you bother trying to make plans in the first place.

But anyone can complain, more importantly I am:
  • Going to NYC in a few days to solidify my working visa with the Japanese consulate - more fun paperwork I spent a few hours doing today
  • then going to hang out with Naomi, old friend who lives down that way and go to a party with a bunch of artsy-fartsy people
  • Working my last days as a pizza delivery man (THANK GOD), it's all over in about 9 days.
  • Going on a sweet roadtrip to VA Beach with Rich, Laura and Gabe to see some old friends, hit the beach, and see The Sleeping, a post-hardcore band that has really grown on me lately. It will also be my last show in America for a while.

On the subject of shows - there are those of you who don't share my taste in music and that's fine, but if you know anything about anything, you'd be annoyed too if you found out OVERCAST, DISSOLVE, TERROR, DYING FETUS and KATAKLYSM were all playing within a month of your leaving.... that's like 5 sweet shows in a month, after such a dead summer. But, as my friend Ed said: "For everything you miss over here, there'll be something equally as cool over there." Well I hope so!

Finally received an e-mail from my J-employers: I'll be living in Nerima, about 30 minutes east of Shinjuku prefecture in Tokyo by train, but only temporarily. I'm staying at a "guest-house" (what does that mean, really?) for a month due to all the apartments being full. I guess they are waiting for people who worked their year to not renew contract, but how can you really plan something like that? Whatever. When I finally arrive in Japan, after all this hard work and red tape and waiting and everything else, I'm going to be somewhere between shock and utterly estatic.

Still have to pack. Still have to clean things up here at home before I go. I also have about a million things I'm leaving behind, a good chunk of which I should sell on ebay for $$$, however I am (a) lazy (b) a packrat.

In other posi-news, I've been jogging roughly 2 miles a day around scenic hampton manor lake, only about a mile from my house, it really is a beautiful little spot. Trying to get my lower body in shape so I can walk anywhere/everywhere in Japan, since I can't ride a bike to save my life.

MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THE POST: I found the myspace of the kid who took pics of my band, Shane, and this picture represents mine and Chris's contempt for humanity nicely:



























(Am I casting a palm-muted spell?!??)







Countdown to D-Day: 23 Days.

"I know you're just like me, together we share our misery" - Starkweather

3 comments:

Nightflesh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nightflesh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nightflesh said...

A guest house in japan is usually either a furnished apartment or a small townhouse. Also, I can drive to Nerima since it's only 15-30 minutes away from Tokorozawa.