The bloggings of an Upstate NY-born Tokyoite. Now with 20% more verbosity!

_

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

T.I.P.S. - To Insure Proper Service?

Fun Japan Fact of the day: Tipping is almost non-existent in Japan. While it is the biggest non-mandatory income in the United States (and I'm sure in other Western countries as well), apparently it does not live up the seeming importance of the original acronym.

Why do we tip people at all then? Two words: cultural conditioning. And thanks to that, I've made some $$$ over the last year or so I couldn't have otherwise. Is it strange then that I look forward to being relieved from tipping? Even though I always tip well at restaurants, bars etc., because that's how I made my money, maybe we are the ones who are backward here?

There is also the whole mystery element of working a tip-based job - the excitement and nervousness of wondering if today will be a great day, a good day, or just plain awful. You are at the mercy of your customers (and dumb luck), I simply wear a dopey smile and act overly polite and try to make them laugh when possible....so it's like practice for teaching English in Japan! :) But really, I do look forward to working a job with a solid level of income, not one that fluctuates so randomly. I'd rather be rewarded in time by keeping regular students/attracting new students, then be handed $8 tips from people in trailer parks and $1.30 tips from people in mansions.

Numbers. The metric system. Do I know it? NOPE!

I'm currently on a rampant hangout-with-everyone mission, it's going decent so far. Hung out with my ex from high school last week, some old friends, and even received a nice little "shout-out" from a friend who knows I'm leaving - whose band is awesome, and probably one of the longest running/hardest working ones from this area, After the Fall. Not my usual style but some good heartfelt lyrics and excellent riffage.

Speaking of band-related stuff, the last show with Josh who is moving to G-Damn Oregon was a great success, will post youtube videos later (thanks to grizloch for driving out and videotaping). Without going into too much detail, it was one of the funnest shows I've ever played, I'm going to miss this band!

Off to work. Epic local metal legends BURNING HUMAN are playing Saturday, stoked on that since I missed their initial reunion last summer. Getting closer to the last Albany show, closer to the end of the grace period, closer to something that will change my life forever.

Countdown to D-Day: 34 Days.




You're all so important to me, and I won't forget how much this life and this music meant to ME. -After The Fall

No comments: