I woke up to the sound of a knock at my door. It was the postman with a package that needed to be signed - my bank card. Now I can put money somewhere besides the bottom of my mattress, score! Then I went for a quick jog, because I've been feeling kind of crappy not exercising at all the past few days - I mean, other than the mile or two of walking I do everyday. Afterward that, I threw on my sandals and made for the train. I had a few hours before work, but I needed to go to the town ward office to get my official "Alien Registration Card." This means I can do many things, including get a cell phone tomorrow! The trip was rather painless, and I watched an episode of Pete & Pete on my new used 160gb Ipod! I have wanted one of these things for so long, I splurged and bought it yesterday. It should make riding the trains that much easier - I usually commute 45 minutes to an hour everyday, including walking and transfer time.
Work was work, here are a few highlights:
-A few more really fun and motivated high level students with whom I talked about the mind and soul, some recreation of the "big bang" in Geneva this week, and the concept of an inner struggle.
-A few noisy little girls breaking into the teacher's room in between classes (we get 10 minute breaks) and yelling at the other teacher: "Gum please!" Over and over again. It was really cute and funny. When said teacher explained that I had the same name as him, the one girl pointed and said "Ben paatoh one and Ben paatoh two!" It was very cute.
-A very excitable and demanding student who, as I had been previously warned, likes to jump from political conversations into conversations about nuking North Korea. This was with two other students in the room, and they became immediately as uncomfortable as I did. I promptly changed the subject, using the power of AUTHORITIIIIIEEE.
-Talking to a few of the Japanese staff in Japanese, and getting to know them a little better. They work ridiculous hours - 40 a week plus unpaid overtime, very common in Japan - and get paid really crappy wages.
-Finding a Subway only a block from a school I'll be at twice a week. I hadn't eaten turkey, roast beef or ham in a month! It's like $5 for a 6 inch, but completely worth it. I also had melon soda, which is like ecto cooler meets mountain dew, without caffiene.
Finally, on my way home I ran into a white guy with tattoos waiting for the same train as me. I sat next to him and started a conversation. As it turns out, he's a hardcore/punk straightedge dude, originally from Poland who landed a job working at a private school teaching Art to kids. He talked about seeing the Promise every time they came to England. and how their founder and the current bass player in Terror is a really good friend of his. Ridiculous. He also lives in the same town as me, which is almost downright bizarre. We talked about various NY Hardcore bands, some of which were too old for me to even have heard of (Antidote ring a bell, Scott J? Zach?), and I got his number so we could hang out some time. He has apparently been all over the world, which I find to be really fascinating.
Anyway, that's my day in a nutshell. Tomorrow is work at some random school, probably subbing for someone, and then Sunday and Monday are days off! Possibly not for long though, as I may pick up extra hours to earn some extra cash. We shall see.
And Sunday is a grind show, which should be hella fun:
"A means to an end? Good night my friend. Was I right or wrong to trust no one?" - Dead Hearts
2 comments:
What are you searching for? Hidden treasure? All you'll find is inner city pressure.
haha. Well it sounds like you're getting into the grind of things. Speaking of grind...I love the Engrish flyer.
antidote was a pretty sweet band, I'll send you the 7" in the near future.
Also I'm very jealous you got to see Fuck On The Beach, band rules.
Post a Comment