The bloggings of an Upstate NY-born Tokyoite. Now with 20% more verbosity!

_

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Hope for the best, expect liverwurst

I discovered the meat section of the supermarket the other day. My heart soared as I saw ham, salami, and even some variant of beef in a sandwich-friendly sliced form, even if they were a bit more expensive than back home. Still better than eating those sketchy chicken/egg salad sandowiichi from the conbini (convenience store). I have happily eaten meat and mustard sandwiches the last 2 days. Speaking of meat, watch out ye non-supplementing vegetarians - a lack of meat can shrink your brain!

I've been toying around with my new Japanese cell phone a lot in the past few days; It's really quite impressive. Also, I'm on the second Harry Potter audiobook right now - might as well use those 45-60 minute commutes for something! Also attempting to read William Faulkner's "The Sound and The Fury," but progress is, for obvious reasons if you are familiar with that author, slow.

In the near future I intend to attend a live Japanese Sumo match! My friend Jordan is regular Sumoite (I just made that word up) and I am pretty curious myself. It's on my list of cultural events to witness here in Japan, right next to bunraku (Japanese wooden puppet-shows), kabuki (traditional Japanese performance art where men in thick makeup play the roles of women) and of course Godzilla destroying the city. Hell, I'll settle for Mothra or Rodan at this point.

This trip was NOT as advertised!!

I'm stoked to see Shipwreck A.D., Have Heart and Loyal to the Grave next Tuesday! I was lucky, the shows is relatively closeby and falls on a holiday, I believe "appreciation for the Elders day." Score. It's also at a venue that all the major hardcore bands seem to play at when they tour here - Terror, Sick of it All, etc.

And something I intend to do more often in this blog because it's fun and I love to hear myself talk: a video of me briefly showing off the wonder that is my new keitai, or cell phone:



"Try but you can't bring me down! Try but you can't phase me... No you can let me down, but I'll still be around." - H20

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

NICE

Anonymous said...

Call me. haha.