At my training yesterday, I noticed that I was starting a class on 9/11, and I said to the trainer (who was from Canada):
"9/11, never forget bro."
"Forget what?"
"..."
So maybe it's just my cultural ignorance showing here, but I thought 9/11 was a big deal to everyone, not just to Americans, right? Somehow it makes sense though, since we've had these numbers shoved down our throats and upon them a foundation of lies and propaghanda has been built, so the tower of lies is in much more recent memory to the world as a whole than its initial base. Fair enough but still, to think that people don't make the same association with 9/11 as I do is a bit unnerving. I mean, I lived only 180 miles from NYC when it happened, and my Mother was only about 80 miles away from there when a giant plane smashed into a huge building, both full of people. Shit is bananas.
But I digress.
So last night, I went out to a shindig to which I was invited to by some of my co-workers. I left around 7:30 only to find out that it had begun torrentially downpouring a few minutes before. By the time I got to the station, despite having my umbrella out, I was pretty soaked. I actually took off my shoes, took of my sucks and rung them like washcloths. Must have been a good cup of water in there! Using my quick wit and McGuyver-like skills, I wrapped the socks in my handkercheif which I put in a small plastic bag as to keep them from getting my shorts any wetter.
So after about an hour of travel I made it to said party, which was in Shimokitazawa, a hip spot in Tokyo where I saw Melt Banana two weeks back. However, I would have rather gone to a show. The bar was packed, hot, and just reminded me how much I generally don't like bars. The music was unnecessarily loud and not very good, the beers were minimum $8 a pint, and as much as I like Guiness, that is just absurd. So after saying hi to everyone I knew there, me and a few of my friends split, went to McDonalds for the very unhealthy but satisfying Greasefest 2008™, and went our separate ways. Kind of a lame night, so I thought I'd share it with you! :)
Daily J-Fact to the Rescue! Bread here is an inch thick per slice, I kid you not. They sell loaves of 8 slices, and it's got a strange texture to it. Wheat products are also really hard to find.
In other news, according to Japan Probe, the Japanese are incredibly interested in Sarah Palin, McCain's new running mate. This interest is a mirror of their fascination with Hillary Clinton though, and has nothing to do with issues of health care or pork-barrel politics in the States, so much as the fact that they are women running for the oval office. Huh. I guess since Japan does tend to maintain that "women should be barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen" motiff quite strongly in contrast to feminism-liberated America, it would be interesting to them. Still comes off as a bit odd to me.
But what isn't odd here, really. I heard at weddings they use dry ice machines. ?
I'm going to clean my place up today, and possibly explore town a bit with my friend Dayn. That's all for today, going to see a crazy show next weekend so hopefully I'll get some good stories for ya.
PayPayフリマ-9月度フリマチャレンジ
4 years ago

2 comments:
You should have tied a neck tie around your head!
I'm going to go out on a limb and say your trainer is the culturally ignorant one. That is a little unnerving to me, too.
But I'm glad training is going well. Also, put your collars down, you damned gaijin-people.
Post a Comment