We are right now caught in the nasty beginnings of what could be coined as the Even Greater Depression. Everything is being cut: spending, jobs and peoples ability to spend freely. Security and peace of mind for some, others merely switch to basic cable or stop downloading so many new ringtones. Me, I don't feel it much over here in Japanland, but the news reports I read make me wonder it's like living back home. Most especially in the heavily taxed state of New York. How far do we have to clutch onto faith before it peters out, and how much can one new administration do to push against the oncoming tides of worldwide economic collapse? I sit and wonder. Simultaneously, I stand on the sidelines while businessmen squirm in their suits and pull at their neckties. I'm happy to be a low man on the totum pole and let someone else cut 2,000 workers from his or her respective company. I don't need that kind of responsibility.
But enough about the world and its perils! The heel fell off of my shoe the other day in class. Strange as it may sound, I quickly stood up after being informed I was teaching in the wrong room and later realized my left rubber heal had come clean off. It made for an uncomfortable walk home, and I'll be wearing sneakers in to work the next two days until I can get these guys fixed. A mile of walking a day really does a number on a high class set of Bostonians, huh?
What's gone and what's coming. Hmm. A few students I've known for a while have started to become like friends to me, which is nice. I had one asking if I taught any 80 minute advanced classes, since he was tired of the normal (and totally unstructured) 40 minute lessons. That was flattering. Another student who is quitting is in agreement about become language exchange partners, which is fantastic, since I need all the help I can get.
Yesterday a co-worker was talking about children, asking a British bloke if he had any. 11 years of marriage and he thought that the "cons outweighed the pros," therefore never did. Overpopulation, financial insecurity etc. etc. She looks at me and says: "I can tell you'll be a father." Was that statement good, bad, ugly? Fake or genuine? Superfluous or a prediction of my future? I sometimes buy the overpopulation argument myself...
My overly animated face (called muppet by some back in the 518 zip code) has been said to entertain crowds of all ages.
Today, I had a great kids class. My kids are like freakin angels. Incredibly well-behaved, they hang on most everything I say, ask good questions, and most importantly have a lot of fun paying games. I taught them all "NOTHING!" for when they lost in a dice game, and "ROLL!" for when they roll the die. The one said "ROCK!" instead, which was ultimately much funnier in person. One of my students, a 9-year old (senior of the other two) and a really smart one is switching days for ballet class. I was kind of sad about that, it'll only be a class of 2 now, but we'll see where it goes from there. Either way it's 50 minutes of fun I find myself looking forward to each and every Friday, and beats most of my regular lessons by far. Can I get 3 adult students all desperately trying to snap their fingers like me and be subsequently as cool, or play shoot the basket and flip out if I start moving it around? An easy audience to be sure.
Oh those pesky adult lessons. Sometimes, when the lubricative juices of conversation just refuse to flow, I find myself thinking: "I should have a rusty set of pliers and several teeth in my hand after that lesson!" But really it's not so bad, I'd say they are 75% enjoyable and often quite fun.
Some stuff going on at home, certain people tell me not worry about certain others, which I'm certainly incapable of controlling. Expatriation is a real double-edged sword: Priceless experience at the cost of being far from the ones you love back home. Like Chris said, I don't know how I'd do this without the internet. I can't imagine life without it at all, for that matter.
I'm hardcore studying at least an hour or 2 of Japanese everyday, on the trains, during work breaks or even *gasp* at home in my free time! And I'm already feeling an increase in comprehension. Listening and dealing with numbers are still my ultimate jakuten (weak point), but I can feel the tide starting to turn. Japanese manga makes more sense, bit by bit. I don't know what exactly I'll do with these skills, but they'll be fun and worth the hard work, I'm sure.
On a side note, I was so tired in my last lesson due to staying up late with my older punker neighbor from Cali, watching the American Hardcore movie (totally bias but cool) that the next day I was thrashed in Japanese class. My creative juices were not flowing, my brain wasn't working, and I was spacing out. In fact, I learned Boutosuru, which means to space out. Useful!
I'm watching a documentary on Hunter S. Thompson. What a guy. Tomorrow is work and nothing in particular, but Sunday means band practice, hanging out with friends and most importantly Shai Hulud and other sweet bands. My first show in like 6 weeks, far far too long to wait. Also Kylesa is playing next weekend, very excited for that.
How is January already almost over?
"Don't you realize that evil lives in the motherfucking skin?" - System of a Down.
"I'm sorry, someone has to lose in this game of life. And tonight, that someone is yououuuuu!" - Cold World
"Everything you know is wrong" - Weird Al
PayPayフリマ-9月度フリマチャレンジ
4 years ago
2 comments:
We miss you too back in the 518! :)
Kerri
Ditto to Kerri's comment.
Keep up the good work Ben.
Miss you man, I'll myspace you.
Post a Comment