Even if it isn't actually said by anyone but me, the fact remains that I come from a family of eaters. We love food and life itself, but especially the food part. I always have and always will eat quite a lot. That is just another reason that Japan is great: the diverse selection. I had Indian curry with all-you-can-eat Naan yesterday and tried something called bibin which was a surprisingly good combination of kimchi (korean spiced cabbage), pork, seaweed, rice and ginger, with a cold egg on top last night. Both delicious!
I have come to find that even the canned tunafish is better over here.
On the subject of food, I talked about Thanksgiving in my Jr. High class today. Even though they are usually pretty uninterested (I even heard one girl say "I'm SOOO tired" in Japanese), I attempted a warm-up exercise of asking what Americans eat for thanksgiving. The only actual answers I got were turkey and fried chicken (har har) and I'm not sure that they understood what mashed potatoes were.
I was in a rotten mood yesterday which seemed to stick with me overnight, so naturally I wasn't feeling very motivated today. My funtastic kids class seemed to pacify me of this grief however, as I got to play my weekly games of pictionary and "shoot the basket." I know not all kids classes can be this fun (or well-behaved) but I'm sort of hoping for more kids' classes next year. They are very enjoyable and hands-on, a great break from what can become a rather tedious human-tape-recorder shtick at times.
Everything is becoming pretty habitual, from catching the same trains at the same times eeach respective day (bear in mind I work at 4 different schools each week) to buying bread or milk every couple of days at the store. I always drag my Japanese textbook along with me, and lately have taken to either studying on the longer train-rides, playing Final Fantasy 4, or listening to music or audiobooks. I've never lived on my own before - much less in a big city - and besides a few hickups here or there I'd say things are going rather smoothly. I think too much time in the concrete jungle can seriously embitter some people, and I understand this now much better than fore. At times, It feels like you are surrounded by nothing but strangers, and the people that do know you only do so for the sake of the almighty dollar....er, yen. Today the only people I saw who I knew were my students and the Japanese staff at work (quite a friendly bunch on the whole), and this kind of "isolation" can really get to anyone if you're not careful. Despite my periodical reclusive tendencies, I do value human companionship (and I miss you blowholes back in the 518). I'm grateful to have made some good friends in such a short period of time here, and am excited to go to Ian's place this weekend for some BBQ! (yes, and to pick up my 360)
I dropped my guitar off at BIG BOSS in Ochanomizu on the way to work the other day, as it had a few dead frets and needed repairs. Ochanomizu (literally "tea water") has a main street full of guitar shops, it's pretty damn cool. I can't wait to get my baby back and get to practicing these FID songs and writing more. Speaking of music, my former band-mate Justin started doing some Elliot Smith-style acoustic songs, and I think they are really good. Check out Justin Joseph.
I am also greatly anticipating Kevin's arrival next month and a Japan-tour via bus (the cheapest way possible) to Hiroshima, Kyoto and Nara! (that'll be 20-some hours of transport too, by the way) Should be a time to remember.
Until I feel the urge to post again folks!
"Ice-age heat wave, can't complain.
If the world's at large, why should I remain?
Walked away to another plan.
Gonna find another place, maybe one I can stand." - Modest Mouse
"I drank a river to forget
To forget about the coming storm
The curtains are down
The lights are off
And the doors are closed
I think about this life I've known
And I hope this time
I won't let it go
Will you catch me when I run
Will you stop me when I'm done
When the day is through
all I want to do is slow down." - Ignite
PayPayフリマ-9月度フリマチャレンジ
4 years ago
1 comment:
Hope you enjoyed the bbq with Ian. I can't wait to see him Dec. 18th.
Post a Comment