The bloggings of an Upstate NY-born Tokyoite. Now with 20% more verbosity!

_

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Adventures in Englishing

Student: "Yesterday, I took a bus for one hour"

Me: "Hrrrm, for one hour? Maybe 'I was on the bus for one hour."

Student: "Oooh."

Me: "Why were you on the bus?"

Student: "Because it was cold."

Me: "Cold? OK, but why didn't you take the train?"

*Momentary silence*

Me: "Why were you on the bus? Was the train stopped?"

*Incredibly embarrassed laughter*

Student: "Not bus, basu!"

Me: "Hrm?"

*Student writes bath.*

*I burst out laughing as well for a good minute*

Me: "Well actually, that was proper grammar the first time then. Good job!"

4 comments:

Jon Doe said...

LOL Sounds like my daily struggle trying to teach my lower level students.

Anonymous said...

absolutely incredible.

Kyle Akuma said...

I know what was really going on inside your head!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/KyleOz/bensimagination.jpg

textbooksociopath said...

haha. awesome.